Thursday, February 4, 2010

What is an essay?

Essays are the written responses we have to specific topics. In essays we can display our opinions, the evidence in which makes our opinions true and what it conveys within the piece of work we may be analyzing. In essays the structure of writhing usually comes in an introduction, body paragraphs and a conclusion. In grade school we learned about the the 5 paragraph but as we grew up and advancing in our writing this expanded into writing as many paragraphs as needed to prove our points.

Essays are typically the evidence that we understand the topic we are learning about, how our writing skills have developed, and how congruent our thoughts can be in writing.

As for the word essay as a verb we discussed it means to try..

Essays are typically not "fun" but I have enjoyed a couple and hated probably even more. The "crappiest" essay I have ever written was for my first SAT. I hated this essay because the question was not interesting at all and mostly because of the limited time we had to write it. I don't remember exactly what the question was right now, but I remember the frustration I has experiencing.

In class or timed essays are the worst essays for me. The reason being is that I get pressured into writing my "best" writing in a span of 40 minutes. For me writing is a process in which I must think about what I will write about, especially if the topic is already given.

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea what the word essay meant as a verb either but I looked it up online and it means to like attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have more experience writing analytical essays (literary analysis, specifically). Those are good skills; analytical abilities are useful for every type of essay, even less "academic" types, like the personal essay. Without analysis, it's all just a bunch of stuff that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally agree with you :] essays are just the response to a topic and pretty much any evidence we have in support of our response. I never thought of an essay that way...you're right when you say that an essay is just a way for us to prove we understand a topic.

    ReplyDelete